Title: Director and Geologist
“Our clients require a complete business solution to a number of environmental issues. Testing and sampling are only part of our service offering. We find the real value for clients is in our ability to provide a one stop shop that includes environmental reporting, impact assessments and annual reviews. We are also experienced in liaison with various government departments, and titles and tenure management so we can navigate industry right through what is often a complicated process”.
Greg Thomson is VGT's Director and a geologist with over 27 years experience in the environmental and planning aspects of many industrial sites. Greg is a fellow of the Institute of Quarrying (F IQA) and a member of the Australian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (M Aus IMM). His qualifications include a Bachelor of Applied Science (Geology) and a Certificate in Quarry Management. Greg has extensive experience in the quarrying, extraction and mining industries, seeing a variety of projects through from inception to rehabilitation. His AUSIMM membership ensures that all exploration reports meets with JORC guidelines, and his leadership role within the IQA keeps him at the forefront of issues facing the extraction industry.
Greg has worked in the private and public sector, and his core skills include navigating industry through the complex process of environmental reporting, impact assessments, annual reviews and title and tenure management. His geological expertise is in the areas of resource evaluation and assessment, and includes projects at 60 quarries and 5 coal mining operations, together with the supervision of drilling and sampling programs. Greg also investigates regional exploration programs designed to identify and evaluate resources for commodities such as sand, clay shale, sandstone, coal, basalt, limestone and Industrial Minerals.
Technical Leadership and Expertise
Greg has provided environmental consulting advice to clients in the areas of:
- Report preparation for various levels of government, including environmental reporting, auditing, impact assessments, annual reviews, development applications and the identification of practical options for proposed local government operations.
- Reporting, licence requirements and liaison with Department of Primary Industries on mining leases, mining operations plans, resource estimates, drill logs and detailed exploration programs.
- Soil and water rehabilitation planning and implementation, including the design, management, monitoring and reporting of the rehabilitation process, and providing advice and modifications to strategy.
- Planning, development and management of quarries and small mines in the industrial minerals, hard rock and clay shale industries.
- Providing expert witness in relation geological and quarry management issues.
- On-site noise and vibration measurement, computer modelling, impact assessment and report compilation for numerous projects.
- Contaminated site assessments, including surface sampling, planning and collection.
Education and Professional Affiliations
Bachelor of Applied Science (Geology)
Certificate IV in Quarry Management.
Feloow of the Institute of Quarrying (F IQA) www.quarry.com.au
Member of the Australian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (M Aus IMM) www.ausimm.com.au